Economics 371 Home Page
||2015 Ivy Road Room 321
||1:00 - 3:00 W at my office
In the event of a bomb scare, I will try to arrange an alternate classroom.
Check your email.
The data sets for the xerox problems can be downloaded by clicking
The file you download is an executable zip file: all the data sets are compressed and
stored inside the one file. The file data.exe is actually a program. When you have
finished downloading, run the program. (From windows, click on file, run, and give the
file name.) The file will expand into all the data sets.
Handouts in pdf
- Quiz 1 is a practice version of the first quiz, Quiz 2 is a practice
version of the second quiz, etc. Click
For Quiz 3, I have provided a copy of the
quiz, and a copy
Review Questions to Prepare for Final
Those in boldface are especially important, and are required reading.
You will need Acrobat Reader to view these documents. It is installed
on most computers nowadays, but if you need to install it on yours, click here
for a free download.
Solutions Manual for Anderson, Sweeny, and Williams
These solutions are provided by the publisher. My experience has been
that the solutions manual, while usually correct, contains a few errors.
If you disagree with a solution presented here, bring it to my attention.
- Click here
to download the Power Point presentation of my introductory comments.
- Click here to download the Chapter 3 Power Point presentation.
(To avoid font problems, this has been printed as a pdf file.)
- Click here to download the Chapter 9 PowerPoint
presentation. (To avoid font problems, this has been printed as a pdf file.)
- Click here to see the class syllabus.
- Click here to see the class schedule.
- Click here to see the assigned homework problems.
- For advice on using Minitab commands or paper and pencil problems, ask me
or my TA.
- One exception to this rule is if Minitab will not start or will not run correctly in the labs. In
that case, you should contact ITC.
- The Data and Story Library is an online
library of data files and stories that illustrate basic statistical methods.
- Visit Statistics Job Announcements
and see what kinds of jobs professional statisticians are hired to do.
- Read about Minitab on their web page.
Minitab from ITC for use on your personal computer, or consult
this list of ITC labs where Minitab is available.
- HyperStat Online is
an introductory-level hypertext statistics book. Did you leave A, S, &W at home and
need to look something up? It is probably here. HyperStat Online also
has links to several web pages of jokes regarding statistics.
- The Rice Virtual Lab in Statistics
includes simulations, demonstrations, and case studies. The case studies are particularly
interesting. The site is still under development.
- In the class discussion of regression analysis, one interesting example is
the controversy concerning butterfly ballots used in West Palm Beach County,
Florida during the 2000 presidential election. For those who may not
be aware of this particular aspect of the election controversy, here is some
Nothing Whatever to do with Statistics
- Pictures of our children, Thomas and Annamarie.
I am contemplating giving extra credit to anyone who spots them around
Charlottesville and goes up to my wife and says "What adorable children
This page last updated on
January 15, 2009.
Click here to visit the Economics
Department home page.