No licenses to buy (and no administrative overhead for
tracking licenses). Don't forget VA Beach City Government
You can prototype your server needs on any PC without worrying about
licensing. This prototype machine can then be a dual boot workstation
that can be used as a test bed for server changes.
A dual boot PC can also quickly (less than 1 hour) fill in for a web server
that has had a massive hardware failure. (This has already happened to me).
- TCP-Wrappers accept client commands from a SUBSET of the internet
I can restrict FTP to one IP address or one subnet or any combination....
Same for sshd
- samba and apache do their own IP range filtering
- htaccess within apache - limit a directory to specific users or
any IP subnet
- ipchains firewall
- All configuration is done in text files
This means that you can use RCS (available for free) to maintain a history
of configurational changes. You can go back to a previous configuration
quickly and painlessly.
Text configuration files eliminate nebulous problems with "corrupted" programs.
- All maintenance can be done from (remote) text based terminal sessions.
- Patching is done automatically by RedHat with the up2date program
- What has Red Hat
(RH7.2 Release Notes)
changed in last 6 months?
- UVA has a NFS installation machine called linuxload.itc.virginia.edu
for fast non-cdrom installs. This NFS mount can be copied to a local server
and shared in your subnet. This allows you to do installs in 5-15 minutes
whereas an install from linuxload.itc could take 40-60 minutes.
- newer kernel - supports uid > 64K
- firewall support in kernel
- XFree 4.1.0 - better 3-D support
- ext3 - journalled file system
- better rescue disk
- better kickstart program for
- Better Plug and Play hardware detection
- PHP and SSL are integrated into the Apache web server installation
- Big Companies are deploying it all over the world to make money.
- Linux as a Server is winning awards:
- Tailored, dedicated servers can use cheaper
Gartner group recommends businesses switch away from Microsoft
IIS web server:
RedHat Linux offers one free patch
subscription per person
ITC offers clear, concise security information on their best practices
- Platform independence
Runs on a much wider variety of platforms than Win2k
LLBean runs Linux on an IBM
zSeries mainframe to handle 100,000 e-mails per day!
- Runs on low-end Hardware
For example, UVA Physics Department runs a Linux-based print
server for a dozen printers on a 50 MHz PC.
Smart People in other countries like
Costa Rica are
flocking to Linux.
- Widespread and popular. Supported by Sun,
IBM, HP, Oracle, Dell, Google, etc....
See Netcraft survey
- Used in
Biology, CS, MSE,
There are experienced,
knowledgeable people to help you. I have two on-line web courses:
is great. Authors are reachable via e-mail.