[continued]

    Some five years afterwards, in 1822, the Hon. Mr. Shore was appointed
Joint Magistrate and Superintendent of the Revenues of the Dun; but
sometime before that it appears that a force of Military Police, called
the Sirmur Battalion, had been raised and equipped from amongst the
Sirmurias and the remants of the Gurkhas left in the Dun, under the
command of Captain Young (Captain "Jung" to the Gurkhas) of the 68th
N.I.  This battalion was afterwards well-known as the Sirmur Rifles, or
the 2nd Prince of Wales' Own Gurkhas, whose headquarters continue to be
the cantonments west of Dehra Dun.
    It is natural to suppose that officers locate the hills and
eventually climb them here and there in search of sport and recreation.
The first house erected on the hills north of Dehra was a small hut built
on the Camel's Back as a shooting-box by Mr. Shore and Captain Young in
1823.  Another small house was built shortly afterwards, somewhere on the
Kulri hill.  This is said to be Zephyr Cottage, close to Zephyr Hall, now
in ruins.  Mullingar, built by Captain Young as his residence as
Commandant of Landour, and White Park Forest, later known as Annfield
(burnt down during riots in 1947), are probably the first houses built
which are recognizable the present day.  White, Park and Forest were the
names of three men who chummed at the house.  The splendid climate and
the good sport obtainable gradually attracted other Europeans as the dun
and the hills to the north became better known; in 1827, the government
established a convalescent depot for European soldiers at Landour.
    By this time there were several houses in Mussoorie; the Park was
built by Colonel Wyshe in 1827; Phoenix Lodge in 1829; and about this
time Captain Kirke, and one or two others whose names are amongst the
first in the old householder's register, commenced building.  As it is
recorded that a merchant named Lawrence came up in 1829 with a stock of
miscellaneous goods for sale, building a hut for himself and his wares on
the Camel's Back, there must have been something of a European consumer
population by that time.
    The two stations of Landour and Mussoorie were at first entirely separate. 
The convalescent depot was on top of the Landour hill;  Mussoorie showed a 
tendency to keep well to the west in the direction of Hathipaon and Cloud End. 
 The Old Brewery, Bohle's Brewery, and the first school (Mackinnon's)
were out west; Colonel Everest, the first Surveyor General who located
himself in Mussoorie, fixed on the Park as his office and residence.
Clover Lodge, Leopard Lodge, Cloud End, and the ruins of other old houses
in that direction show the western tendency of Mussoorie, which was
further emphasised by the reservation of sites for bazaars at Hathipaon,
at Dudhili Khal and even as far west as Bhadraj, a hill crowned by a
temple, overlooking the Jamuna river.  Mussoorie and Landour having since
joined, and eastern Mussoorie being overbuilt and overcrowded, the
western tendency is reasserting itself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Above was from 02 May 1996
========================================================================

[continued - ]

"There was apparently no settlement of any kind in Mussoorie or Landour
till some 18 years after Captain Young and Mr. Shore built the first hut
on the Camel's Back.  Indeed, beyond Mr. Calvert's fixing of the Revenue
Sub-divisions in 1816, there appeared to have been no regular settlements
and surveys in the Dun itself.  The European settlers in Mussoorie took
up what land they required direct from the zamindars of the villages on
both slopes of the hills.  The boundary line between Dehra Dun and
territories with Raja Sudarshan Sah of Tehri, who was reinstated after
the British had driven the Gurkhas out of the Dun, was led down as the
watershed of the Mussoorie-Landour range.  Hence the northern slopes of
the hill down towards the Aglar valley were, strictly speaking, Tehri
territory.  The question of the boundary first cropped up when the
government established a convalescent depot at Landour in 1827.  Since
the land on the northern slopes of the hill was not in British territory,
compensation was accordingly determined on by way of annual rent, the
government paying Rs. 70 per annum for the Landour depot and for the
Civil Station, or Mussoorie proper, Rs. 278 per annum.  These rates were
later enhanced; but as the total area of Mussoorie and Landour was nearly
20 square miles (about half of which, roughly speaking, was Tehri
territory), a rent of roughly Rs. 350 per annum was by no means
excessive, about Rs. 35 per square mile!
    The first business started in Mussoorie (if we exclude Mr. Lawrence's
venture of general goods for sale in 1829) would appear to have been the
Old Brewery which was started by Mr. Bohle from Meerut in 1830, on the
site of the later Mackinnon's Brewery.  In 1832, Mr. Bohle appears to
have got into trouble with Colonel Young (Captain Young of Sirmu Rifles),
who at this time apparently combined the offices of Superintendent of the
Dun and Commandant of Landour.  The difficulty seems to have been about
supplying beer to soldiers who came down from Landour to the brewery with
forged passes.  Whether on account of the trouble with the authorities,
or because he found that a hill brewery was not a paying concern, Mr.
Bohle closed his brewery.  Two years later, in 1834, Mr. Mackinnon came
up, purchased the estate and opened the first of Mussoorie's schools,
calling it the Mussoorie Seminary.  Bohle also returned about the same
time and reopened the Old Brewery where he continued working till 1838
when he built the place known as Bohle's Brewery.  The ruins of this
place are still in evidence.  Bohle's Bullock Cart Train (from Rajpur to
Mussoorie) was famous in its time as a goods carrier.  Mr. Bohle's tomb
is one of the more impressive monuments in the Camel's Back Cemetery".

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Above --
From: GAIL.HARRIS@......com
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 07:27:34 -0400
Subject: Bond's Mussoorie
=======================================================================

[continued - ]

    In 1835 the European population was large enough to trouble itself
about its spiritual needs.  A meeting was got up to arrange the erecting
of a church and Mr. Mackinnon, already one of the leading men in
Mussoorie owing to his energy and public spirit, proposed and selected
the site; in 1836, the tower and nave of the present Christ Church were
erected by Captain Rennie Tailour of the Bengal Engineers.  The Mussoorie
Library also owes its origins (1841) to Mr. Mackinnon; his portrait still
hangs in its reference room.
    St. Paul's Church was built a short time after the Mussoorie Church
and consecrated by Bishop Wilson on 1 May 1840.
    Mussoorie's first bank, the north-west Bank, was started in 1836
under the management of Colonel F. Angelo, and for some time it was
utilized as a Government bank, holding a floating deposit of treasury
money for the convenience of government officers and their families
residing in Mussoorie.  This arrangement was terminated in 1842 by Mr.
Vansittart, then Superintendent of the Dun; it is probably that he was
well advised in so doing, as the bank stopped payment shortly
afterwards.  The depositors were all paid up, but the shareholders lost a
good deal.  In 1864 the Mussoorie Savings Bank was started by Mr. Hobson,
and sometime later the Himalaya Bank was opened under the management of
Mr. Moss.  These two banks disappeared too, the collapse of the latter
creating rather a sensation at the time.  Some say Mossy Falls was named
after Mr. Moss!  The Alliance Bank of Simla opened a branch in Mussoorie
on 21 August 1891 in very handsome premises known as Tiverton House, at
the east end of the Mall.  This too crashed.  Mussoorie was not a healthy
place for banks in the good old days.
    In 1841 the settlement of Mussoorie was carried out by Mr. Wells, who
demarcated and mapped out the various estates taken up by the European
settlers.  In 1842, after Mr. Wells' settlement, the Mussoorie Municipal
Board was constituted and the records of the settlements deposited in
their office.  The first Secretary was Mr. MacGregor, and the office was
initially a room in the 'kachehri', while the monthly meetings wer held
in the Library, in the Mussoorie Bank, and in various other places.  It
was not until 1871 that the Belleville estate was purchased by the
Municipality and the existing house altered and enlarged to suit the
purpose of a Municipal and Town Hall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Above - 
From: GAIL.HARRIS@......com
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 12:31:37 -0400
Subject: Bond's Mussoorie
=======================================================================