The John A. G. Davis House at "The Farm" in Charlottesville, Virginia is a brick residence of classical design built by Thomas Jeffersonís workmen in 1826 after completing construction of the Academical Village at the University of Virginia. It was built for a prominent young couple in Albemarle County and has subsequently been lived in and/or associated with other prominent figures and families in Virginia history. After a period of neglect it was restored and preserved in 1994 by two architects as their private residence. Listed on both the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register, it is one of the best surviving examples of Jeffersonian residential architecture.
AWARDS: Preservation Award, Thomas Jefferson Branch, Association for Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, 1996 Frederick Doveton Nichols Award for Residential Preservation, Preservation Alliance of Virginia, 1997 Preservation Award, City of Charlottesville, 1999
PUBLICATION: Inside UVA, July 12, 1995; University of Virginia
Alumni News, Winter 1995; Daily Progress, Sept. 11, 1995; Washington
Post, Sept. 23, 1995; Roanoke Times, Sept. 18, 1995; Washington Post -
Washington Home, Nov. 16, 1995; Inform Architecture + Design, No.
4 1996; Daily Progress, June 4, 1999
SITE AND LANDSCAPE
COMPUTER MODEL - (needs a VRML plugin to view)
NICHOLAS LEWIS HOUSE AT THE FARM