Brief Curriculum Vitae for
John M. Unsworth
- Dean of Libraries, University Librarian, and Professor of English, University of Virginia, 2016-present
- Vice Provost, University Librarian, Chief Information Officer and Professor of English, Brandeis University, 2012-2016
- Dean and Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science (also Professor, Department of English, and Professor, Library Faculty), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2003-2012
- Director, Illinois Informatics Institute, 2008-2011
- Associate Professor, Dept. of English, University of Virginia, 1993-2003 (tenured 1996)
- Director, Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities, University of Virginia, 1993-2003
- Associate Faculty, Multi-Disciplinary Studies Program, North Carolina State University,1992-1993
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of English, North Carolina State University, 1989-1993
- University of Virginia: Ph.D. in English, 1988
- Boston University: M.A. in English, 1982
- Amherst College: B.A. Magna Cum Laude in English, 1981
- Appointed Distinguished Presidential Fellow at the Council on Library and Information Resources, 2014-2015.
- Appointed by President Barack Obama to the National Coiuncil on the Humanities August 5, 2013-January 26, 2016.
- Allen Smith Visiting Scholar, School of Library and Information Science, Simmons College, 2012-2013.
- The Richard W. Lyman Award, 2005
- Vodafone Fellow, Kings College, University College London, Spring 2005
University of Virginia:
- 20th-Century American Bestsellers, Spring 2018.
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens and Harold Short, University of Victoria, BC, June, 2016.
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens and Harold Short, University of Victoria, BC, June, 2015.
- "Digital Humanities for Deans and Department Heads," with Ray Siemens, University of Victoria, BC, June, 2014.
- ILiADS Summer Institute, Hamilton College, July 26-August 2, 2015.
- English 147B: 20th Century American Bestsellers, Spring 2014.
- ENG 158B: Digital Humanities Spring 2013
Editing and Curating:
- Member, Editorial Board, Digital Humanities Quarterly, 2006-present
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Electronic Publishing, University of Michigan Press.
- Co-founder and Editor Emeritus, Member, Editorial Board, Postmodern Culture: an electronic journal of interdisciplinary criticism (published by Johns Hopkins University Press): issue editor for issues 1.1, 1.3, 2.1, 2.3, 3.3, 4.2, 5.1, 5.3.
- Member, Blake Archive Advisory Board, 1998-present
- Member, Dickinson Editorial Collective Advisory Board, 1998-present
- Member, Romantic Circles Advisory Board, 1997-present
- "Data Capsule Appliance for Research Analysis of Restricted and Sensitive Data in Academic Libraries," with Robert McDonald, Erik Mitchell, and Inna Kouper. CNI, Washington DC, December 10, 2017.
- "20th-Century American Bestsellers." Opening Ceremony of the 2017 Festival of the Book.
Charlottesville, VA, March 22, 2017." (See also accompanying illustrations.)
- "Ebooks: The Next Big Deal?" Keynote at "eBooks and the Academic Library Market: The Charlotte Initiative Open Conference," March 9, 2017
- "Bridging Art and Science: STEAM Education in a Digital World." 4Cast '16, University of Iowa, Iowa City, January 14, 2016. (Also available as a PDF)
- "What are the Digital Humanities, and where did they come from?" Digital Scholarship Symposium, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI, October 1, 2015.
- "Annotation: A Very Brief History." Presented at The Poynter Institute's Annotation Summit, New York Times Building, NYC, May 20, 2015.
- "Scholarly Research Infrastructure." Remarks for the closing roundtable at "Scholarly Networks and the Emerging Platforms for Humanities Research and Publication," an international colloquium co-sponsored by The Virtual Humanities Lab and the Center for Digital Scholarship at Brown University, and DARIAH-Italy. Providence, RI, April 18, 2015.
- Panelist, "Big Data and the Digital Humanities," part of "Cultivating Collaboration: Bridging Cultures Through Humanities Research and Innovation," the Fourth US - China Cultural Forum, held at the National Endowment for the Humanities, Washington DC, April 10, 2015.
- Text Mining Workshop, Council on Library an Informaton Resources Summer Seminar for Postdocs, Bryn Mawr College, July 29, 2014.
- Member, Search Committee, Vice President for Human Resources, Brandeis University, 2015
- Member, Search Committee, Vice Provost for Research, Brandeis University, 2015
- Invited participant, "Envisioning Our Information Future and How to Educate For It." A Planning Forum funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. Held at Simmons College School of Library and Information Science, Boston MA, January 14-16, 2015.
- Member, external review committee on library and IT, American University of Cairo, Egypt, January 2015.
- Member, Library Steering Committee, Knowledge Unlatched 2014-2016.
- Member, Executive Management Committee, HathiTrust Research Center, 2011-present
- Member, TAPAS Project Advisory Board, 2015-present
- President, Boston Library Consortium, 2014-2015
- Member, National Council on the Humanities, 2013-2016
- Member, Search Committee for the Senior Vice President for Communications at Brandeis University, 2015
- Member, external library review committee, Lafayette College, October, 2014.
- Member, external review committee, Bates College Library, Lewiston, ME, September 2014.
- Member, external review committee, Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities, University of Maryland at College Park, June 2014.
- Co-Chair, Online Learning Advisory Committee, Brandeis University, 2013-
- Invited visitor, University Press of New England, Board of Governors, 2013-
- Member, Steering Committee, Coalition for Networked Information, 2013-
- Treasurer, Text Encoding Initaitive Consortium, 2013-
- Member, Council on Library and Information Resources, CIOs group, 2012-present
- Staff, Committee on Library and IT, Brandeis University Board of Trustees, 2014-present.
- PI, "The HistoryMakers: The Next Generation." A two-year grant to modernize The HistoryMakers infrastructure and connect it to research and teaching in higher education. Funded at $725,000 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2016.
- Co-PI, with Laura Wood (Tufts University). "The Eastern Academic Scholars' Trust (East): A Large-Scale Shared Print Collection Serving Northeastern Academic Libraries." Proposed on behalf of the Boston Library Consortium to the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for funding of $994,771, March 30, 2015.
- Co-PI, with Laura Wood (Tufts University). "Repository Services for Accessible Course Content." Funded at $49,870 by the Institute for Museum and Library Studies. 2015.
- PI. "The HistoryMakers and the Higher Education Market." A planning grant to help a Brandeis alumna's non-profit oral history project become part of the collections of college and university libraries. Funded at $51,000 by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. 2015.
Last modified: Monday, 16-Oct-2017 08:08:07 EDT