On November 10, 1766, William Franklin, the last Colonial governor of New Jersey (and Benjamin Franklin's illegitimate son), signed the charter that brought Queen's College into existence. The College was established to train young men for the ministry in the Dutch Reformed Church. This new college was named in honor of Charlotte of Mecklenburg, consort of King George III. The first classes were held in November, 1771, and the first graduate (and the entire graduating class of 1774) was Matthew Leydt. On April 27, 1809, the cornerstone of the first building on the campus - called Old Queen's College - was laid.
The College changed its name to Rutgers University in November, 1825, naming it in honor of Colonel Henry Rutledge, a hero of the American Revolution.
Continue the exhibit.