Prince Edward Island was discovered in 1534 by Jacques Cartier, and called Île-St-Jean by Champlain. In 1763, the island was ceded to the British. In 1798, it was renamed after Edward, Duke of Kent. Prince Edward Island is divided into three counties, one of which is Queens County in the central part of the island. Queens County has a land area of 765 square miles, and a population (in 1981) of 60,470.
The capital of Prince Edward Island, and the county seat of Queens County is the city of Charlottetown, located on Hillsborough Bay. Charlottetown was founded by the French about 1720, and in 1765, became the capital city of the British colony. The population of the city in 1981 was 15,282.