The Palace of Mirow in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Germany, home of the ducal family of Mecklenburg-Strelitz in the 2nd half of the 18th century:
The Palace at Neustrelitz, also in Mecklenburg-Strelitz, from which the seventeen-year-old Princess Sophie Charlotte departed in August 1761, to become Queen of Great Britain:
Engraving by Swaine. In: Watkins, John: Memoirs of her most excellent Majesty Sophia-Charlotte, Queen of Great Britain ... London, 1819. Plate facing p. 45.
Soon after their marriage, King George III purchased Buckingham House for his young bride. After renovations, the house was known as Queen's House, and became the royal family's London residence. Sixty years later, after extensive rebuilding, the house was renamed Buckingham Palace.
Engraving by Swaine. In: Watkins, John: Memoirs of her most excellent Majesty Sophia-Charlotte, Queen of Great Britain ... London, 1819. Plate facing p. 148.
In 1772, Queen Charlotte inherited the property at Kew from her mother-in-law, Augusta, the Princess Dowager of Wales. It was here that the "Queen of Botany" pursued her life-long interest in plants and flowers. In 1774, she had a small cottage built at the edge of Kew Gardens as a refuge from official court life:
Strelitzia Reginae is an exotic plant from the Cape of Good Hope, named in honor of Queen Charlotte in 1773 by Sir Joseph Banks, director of Kew Gardens.
Frogmore House, situated one-half mile south-east of Windsor Castle, was purchased by Queen Charlotte in 1790. She called it her "Little Paradise."
Kew Palace is located on the grounds of Kew Gardens, and was formerly called "Dutch House." Queen Charlotte died here on November 17th, 1818, at age 74.
Continue the exhibit.