Open Positions: I am looking for motivated students with strong mathematical background. If you are interested, please email me, describing your background and interests.
About me: I am currently an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Virginia. Before that, I was a postdoctoral scholar at Caltech. I received my Ph.D. in ECE from UIUC in 2013. I also received an M.Sc. in mathematics from UIUC in 2012 and an M.Sc. in ECE from the University of Toronto in 2008.
My interests include information theory, bioinformatics/computational biology, and machine learning. I particularly gravitate towards problems that lie in the intersections of these areas, such as ordinal data fusion and its application to gene prioritization, mathematical and information-theoretic modeling of DNA mutations, compression of biological sequences, and sorting algorithms for large data streams. I also work on rank modulation codes for flash memories with higher data density, faster reprogramming, and longer life span.
- Sep. 9, 2016: Invited talk at the Allerton Conference, Monticello, IL.
- Aug. 23, 2016: I have joined the ECE department of the University of Virginia as an assistant professor.
- July 11, 2016: My Erdos number is now 2!
- Recent invited talks:
- May 6, 2016: University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department.
- Apr. 26, 2016: University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Electrical Engineering Department.
- Mar. 30, 2016: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department.
- Mar. 23, 2016: USC, Electrical Engineering Department.
- Mar. 11, 2016: Arizona State University, School of Electrical, Computer, and Energy Engineering.
- Apr. 3, 2016: Our papers were accepted to ISIT:
- On the Duplication Distance of Binary Strings with N. Alon, J. Bruck, and S. Jain.
- Duplication-Correcting Codes for Data Storage in the DNA of Living Organisms with S. Jain, M. Schwartz, and J. Bruck.
- The Capacity of Some Polya String Models with O. Elishco, M. Schwartz, and J. Bruck.
- Mar. 2016: My paper with Olgica Milenkovic on multipermutation rank modulation codes for flash memory was awarded the 2014 IEEE Data Storage Best Student Paper Award.
- Feb. 2016: Our paper MetaCRAM: an integrated pipeline for metagenomic taxonomy identification and compression was published in BMC Bioinformatics.
- Feb. 2016: Our paper The Capacity of String-Duplication Systems was published in the IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory.
- Feb. 2016: Our paper Bounds for Permutation Rate-Distortion was published in the IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory.
- Feb. 1, 2016: Invited talk at the Information Theory and Applications Workshop.
- Jan. 18, 2016: Talk on Stochastic Models for DNA Tandem Duplication at the Molecular Programming Project's 2016 Anuual Workshop.
- Sep. 21, 2015: Our paper Codes Correcting Erasures and Deletions for Rank Modulation was accepted to the IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory.