THIS SITE IS NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED. PLEASE VISIT THE CURRENT ALGENWEB/WALKER CO. SITE AT http://www.rootsweb.com/~alwalker/.
Check the What's New page to see what has changed since your last visit.
- The Elizabeth T. Wiggins Heritage Room of the Jasper Public Library (20 E. 18 St.) contains local history and genealogical records of Walker County as well as surrounding counties.
- The Walker County Genealogical Society meets on the fourth Thursday of each month at the Jasper Public Library. The Society (P.O. Box 3408, Jasper, AL 35502-3408) also publishes a quarterly called Walking Back in Time.
- The Heritage of Walker County, Alabama book is a collection of over 800 stories about families who once lived, or who now live in Walker County. Also included are articles about churches, communties, etc. Story submission is closed. To order ($64.40, including shipping) contact:
Walker County Heritage Book
P. O. Box 2290
Jasper, AL 35502
or email email@example.com
- Locate the email addresses and web pages of other people researching Walker Co. families: check our list of researchers and add your name to the list. New names were last added on Sunday, 4 June 2000.
- Check our list of reunions of Walker Co.-related families and organizations and add yours to the list. New events were last added on Tuesday, 3 February 2004.
- As a supplement to this page, a mailing list for the discussion of Walker Co., AL genealogy, called ALWALKER-L, has been created. As of 21 February 2000, this list has over 325 subscribers!
You can subscribe to the list in mail mode by sending a message to ALWALKER-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org that contains the word "subscribe" (without the quotation marks) and nothing else. If you prefer digest mode, you should send the command instead to ALWALKER-Demail@example.com.
To post a message to the list (you must subscribe first), send it to ALWALKER-L@rootsweb.com.
Anyone can search the archives of previous messages posted to ALWALKER-L.
- Amelia Willcutt accepts queries for Alabama ancestors. The queries are organized by surname instead of county, and Amelia maintains a cross-index when several surnames are supplied in the query.
- The Walker County Genealogical Society (WCGS) also publishes queries in Walking Back in Time ($2.00 per query for non-members, free for members; 40 words or less per query, P.O. Box 3408, Jasper, AL 35502-3408).
In addition to writing the WCGS, you can now submit queries via email to Karen Langley Powell, family tree editor for the WGCS, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The WCGS queries are also printed on Fridays in the Lifestyles section of Walker County's Daily Mountain Eagle newspaper -- although they no longer appear in the web edition. For a query to be placed in the Daily Mountain Eagle you do not have to be a member of the Society, and it is free!
- Email the coordinator about additional Web, gopher or ftp sites you would like linked to this page.
- Email the coordinator if you have genealogical data in electronic form (e.g., Walker Co. marriage or census records) that you would like to make available to others via this site. Check out the USGenWeb Archives to see what others have done. Volunteers are extracting census records, wills, marriages, cemetery
records, births, and other documents for contribution.
- Email the coordinator if you own books in which you are willing to do look ups for other Walker County researchers.
- Email the coordinator if you would like to post via this site your name, email address and Web address along with the Walker County surnames you are researching.
- Email the coordinator if you find any errors in these pages.
ALGenWeb: County Index: Walker County